Here are the troubleshooting steps for a Roku voice remote or simple remote that is not working properly:
Determine the Type of Remote
- Roku simple remote: Uses IR, must point directly at the streaming device.
- Roku voice remote: Communicates over a wireless connection and does not need to be pointed at the device.
Troubleshooting Steps for Roku Simple Remote
- Check for Obstructions: The remote requires a clear line of sight to work.
- Test the Remote from Different Positions: To ensure it’s not being blocked from some angles.
- Proper Placement of the Streaming Device: It shouldn’t be behind the TV or inside a cabinet.
Troubleshooting Steps for Roku Voice Remote
- Re-pair the Remote: Remove and reconnect the power cable to the streaming device, then use the pairing button on the remote to reconnect.
- Recharge or Replace Batteries: If the remote has rechargeable batteries, charge it; if it uses standard batteries, replace them.
- Check for Remote Updates: Make sure the streaming device’s software is up-to-date.
Additional Troubleshooting Steps
- HDMI Extension Cable for Streaming Stick: Moving the stick away from the TV can reduce interference.
- Remote Batteries: Replace or reinsert batteries, and ensure good contact in the battery compartment.
- Router Distance: Move the router further from the streaming device if it’s very close, to avoid signal interference.
Advanced Networking Tips (Specifically for Voice Remote)
- 5GHz Wireless Network: If both your router and streaming device support 5GHz, this can reduce interference.
- Wireless Channel Adjustment: Manually select a channel on the router settings to reduce congestion.
Issues with Warm or Hot Remotes
- Safety First: If the remote is unusually warm or hot, discontinue use immediately, disconnect it from charging, and allow it to cool down before handling further.
- Purchase a New Remote: If none of the steps resolve the issue, consider buying a replacement remote compatible with your Roku device.
For detailed instructions and illustrations, refer to Roku’s support article: Roku Remote Troubleshooting.
Please note these are generalized steps, and specific troubleshooting may vary depending on the model of your remote and Roku device. If the problem persists, you may need to consult Roku’s customer support or consider replacing the remote.